Friday, June 3, 2022

The Typewriter

My daughter's typewriter arrived today.  I got her an older one that had been refurbished with all keys working that was of the traditional "whacky key" kind, not the newer (but still older overall) selectric variety so she could feel the keys pop up and understand how it worked. 

She was so excited to get it out of the box, open the case up and get to typing.   And this is where she impressed me.   It was similar enough to her braillewriter while also being different but she understood it in no time flat.   

In ten minutes she was typing me something, figuring out how to X out her mistakes (there is no correction on this version, and even if there were, she wouldn't be able to feel if she had corrected correctly).  Her biggest challenge was hitting the keys hard enough.  

I am very glad I got it for her.  She wrote me a note and left it at my bedside table.   It's going to be a lot of fun for her. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son is having some challenges on the trip.   We had a call with him and his teacher today and I think it helped him.  He missed us in part, but his back had also been hurting him a lot.  He is going to take an Advil tomorrow and hopefully, he'll have a better outlook on the trip as a whole from the call tonight.  He sounded so small and far away on the phone. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I am continually amazed at how my daughter can do things I could in no way have done when I was her age.  We're practicing spelling words in the car in the mornings and she is spelling words that are so complicated that I don't know when I would have been able to spell them myself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment