Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Balloon Talk

My daughter and I played this game today where you talk into a large, inflated balloon.  The result is your voice echoing around inside the balloon and with your mouth pressed on the side of the balloon.  I told my daughter about the dangers of balloons popping and inhaling the latex (because I know that is exactly what my father is thinking right now).   

Your voice is hard to understand—and funny.  She and I took turns having the other person guess what we were saying.  We did word guesses and worked up to passage comprehension with multiple questions after hearing what the other person was (trying) to say.   We scored points and gave grades.   You might think this is potentially related to my daughter taking her EOG's currently.  

EOG's are End of Grade (year) tests to see the progress and level of the student's knowledge.  The start of the year has not surprisingly named BOG's so there is the fun of starting and ending the year with testing.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a lot of screens today and all was going fine until he was asked to turn it off for a few minutes which he decided to not answer respectfully to his father.  I came in and basically lowered the boom as the phrase goes.   He did not like it and responded even worse to me.   So I now have all the devices and they have had their passcodes changed because I just caught him sneaking downstairs after midnight while we were working in the basement.  He hasn't gotten television privileges back and his computer has a broken part.  He might have to do something non-online tomorrow.  How ever will he survive?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter doesn't seem to be bothered by standardized tests.   She's going into school practicing for the Braille Challenge and not even seeming to mind.  It's been a nice time getting to talk to her about the why of spelling or what to look out for in questions about where an error might be in a sentence.  Those are so tricky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment