Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The Flower Girl

My daughter has been bringing me flowers.   It's been something she's done to make me happy or because she knows I'll like them just because she is that kind-hearted and wants likes to do something nice.   The other day I was taking a nap and when I woke up, there were some knock-out roses on my nightstand.   I wasn't sure where they came from as we lost our plants in a blight that happened a few years ago.   I learned later she had gotten it from a bush when she walked down the street with Madison.   I don't know who's roses they were, but they're still on my nightstand now, dried and withered, but still making me happy. 

Then, two days ago, she made me an entire bouquet.   Down at my computer, I found a paper cup with two types of flowers in it, carefully arranged so all the flowers were hanging just so over the edge of the cup.   When I came back from an errand my daughter told me there was something waiting for me when I went downstairs.   I'm not even sure where she got these flowers, but there are lots of things in bloom right so hopefully, the plants didn't mind giving up their blooms. 

Then today, my daughter ran in from being brought home from school by Nana.   She came straight to me and proudly handed me two small sunflower flowers.   One of the teachers had them and was giving them away to students who wanted one.   My daughter asked for them so she could bring them home and give them to me.   

They are currently in a vase in the kitchen.   This is a very special thing my daughter is doing.   It's a way to say, "I love you, Mom."   And I definitely appreciate it.   The other way she says she loves me is in Pig Latin, which she's getting faster and faster at.  

The Big Boy Update:  We were saying what we were thankful for the other day as we sitting around the dinner table.   My son said, "I'm going to thank the chicken who was used to make my dinner."    And today, my son brought home a Didgeridoo he made in art class at school.   It's just a cardboard tube, but it's the right width and length to sound just right and the painting he did on the outside makes it almost look like the real thing.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told me, "Mom, no offense, but this story is getting kind of long."  I asked her how she listened to the teachers when she was in school.   She said, "Oh I don’t,  I just zone out.  But I still know what they’re saying.  It’s sort of a blind skill.  This is my special skill.  It's like how people are different in different ways.  I think it’s just me."

No comments:

Post a Comment