Wednesday, June 30, 2021

86400

My daughter and I were in the car today, heading to the chiropractor, when she asked me how many seconds were in a day.   Or rather she asked me what sixty times sixty was.   I helped her figure out the answer by stepping her through easier steps starting with, "well, you know what six times six is, right?"

After getting that answer she said she was trying to figure out the number of seconds in a day.  So we kept going.   She worked out all the answers herself with me giving her ways to split the problem into pieces she had the knowledge to solve at her age and math skill. 

When we got to the office, she had just figured out the final answer—and she was so proud.   When we went inside she was telling the ladies at the front desk the answer and saying she was going to figure out the answer for a year next.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son was very outgoing at a family dinner tonight with my in-laws and brother-in-law's family tonight.   He was playing the comedian role almost and getting a good bit of laughs.   He seems older than he was a year ago.  By a lot from a maturity standpoint. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter, ever the thinker, was given the answer to how many seconds in a year by the helpful staff at the chiropractor's office as we walked back today.   She called out, "yes, but what about a leap year?"

No comments:

Post a Comment