Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Under the Canopy

It had been hours since the dog had gone outside and I realized I had to go shortly, so I took her out in the hopes she'd go quickly as I had my first board meeting in person since before COVID-19 lockdown.   Of course, she was in no hurry and that was doubly troublesome for me because it started to rain rather hard all of a sudden. 

I had a thought that brought me back to my childhood: if I stood under the tree at the start of a shower, I could stay completely dry as the droplets hit the branches above and didn't trickle down for a while.   This isn't something surprising as an adult, it makes logical sense.   But as a child this was something new, my discovery, and something I sought out. 

Spring and early summer rains bring cooler temperatures and breezes and standing under a tree made the hot weather feel comfortable.   I felt like I was in my own protective bubble standing under a tree as a child.   I remember later, as the rain progressed, it was much less enjoyable than being out in the rain itself because droplets would combine into bigger ones and the large, erratic amounts of water hitting you was not fun at all. 

So today, I stood under a tree and remembered a long time ago.   A time at about the age my children are now.   I wonder if they've noticed the same thing?

The Big Boy Update:  I just realized my son is out of school for the summer at the end of next week.   That's six more days of school.  I'm not prepared (mentally) for summer to be here yet!

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter received a thank you note from Rayan and Keira today for taking care of Charlotte, their dog, this past weekend.   In the note was some money for my daughter, forty dollars.   This was the first job my daughter has ever had.   She was very happy about it.   She wants to do more pet sitting for people around the neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment