Sunday, October 23, 2022

Pumpkin Patch Math

We went to the church we've gone to for years and years and years to get pumpkins today.   We got pumpkins that were normal-sized and some that were small, and some that were tiny.   There were gourds in many different shapes and sizes, most of them rather small, though.   My daughter wanted to get lots of things.  

Because most of what my daughter wanted to get cost fifty cents or two dollars, I let her make the selections she wanted while my son and husband picked out the larger pumpkins.   My daughter and I put the little pumpkins and gourds over on the side and then she proceeded to touch a lot of pumpkins, deciding she didn't want one if it was missing the stem and she wanted one that was smooth, and not too large.  

Then it was time to pay.  And this was something my daughter could do just as well as the rest of us.   The tables had different sizes of tiny gourds all the way up to the largest pumpkins.   You put your items up and compared them to the samples.  In general, they would tell you how much your items cost, but in this case, they stood back and let my daughter figure it out.   

They not only let her decide the cost of each item but they were also surprised when she gave them the total we owed them for everything.   She was correct with the total too. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was in a mean, mean mood when we left to go get pumpkins.  I almost took away every privilege from here until he was eighteen he was being so incredibly hateful.  But he turned it around and was happy and even supportive when we got back into the car with pumpkins.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was trying to help my daughter with the neighbor's dog, who had a "gentle leader" that we had no idea how to put on.  I pulled up a resource online and was trying to figure it out when my daughter got so frustrated at me because I was saying, "hold on, I'm trying to figure this out."  She said in a mean tone, "I know because you can see, and you're perfect, and I'm blind."  Or something like that.  That might sound bad, but I was so happy in a way to hear her say that because she's addressing how very frustrating it is to be blind.   I addressed it with her later and she apologized but I told her she didn't have anything to apologize for.   

No comments:

Post a Comment