Thursday, October 13, 2022

It Could Be Worse

I saw my orthopedic neurosurgeon today.  I was fairly certain he was going to say things had progressed to the point where I needed another spinal fusion.  I don't think I'm going to be able to avoid it forever and at the rate the nerve pain is increasing, well, I don't like how things are going.  The most concerning is the recent addition of losing feeling on the underside of my right arm.  That's new and it's very worrisome. 

But I got much different information than I expected.   The junction to be concerned about is the C4-C5 area.   On the MRI the space is reduced considerably, which is why I can't be in certain positions without pain from pressure on the spinal cord.   That isn't good, and it's progressing, but he said it's not surgical yet. 

The ring of pain in my trunk that no one can figure out is the thing that I feel like we finally have an answer on.  He said the bright area on the spinal cord in the C3 area is the damage from the paddle when they put the neurostimulater in that had to be removed a week later and left me with paresthesia all over my body for months, some areas up to a year before they went away.  I still don't have full feeling in my hands.  

He said the ring of pain is related to that damage and is going to progress with time.   So we have an answer, but not a good one.  For now though, no surgery, and hopefully things won't get much worse or will at least take time to progress.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I are still playing Fortnite Monopoly, but we're adding all kinds of different abilities and special rules—and we're balancing the game.   It's fun and the really nice thing is my son is such a good sport.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter called to let her brother know they found Knockturn Alley at Universal Studios.  It's not easy to find, which is how it's supposed to be.  She was so proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment