Thursday, October 20, 2022

I Lied To You

I told my daughter today that I had lied to her.   I didn't know how she was going to take the news, but it had to be done.  She asked about what, and I told her that the podcast I'd made that it wasn't about our family; it was about her. 

She was very quiet and still.  She asked me some questions about what I meant.  I explained that as a parent it is awful to have your child go blind.  I knew it was worse for her, but it was hard on us too.   I told her I told her story and how we handled everything.  That I wanted to tell the story before it faded too much in my mind.   And that it was for her in case she wanted to remember any of it as well.  

She was mad.   She couldn't trust me ever again.   She was really mad.   I said I understood.   When her father and brother came home they came in and my son told me my daughter said she wasn't talking to me until Sunday at twelve AM.  

Okay, I said.   Then, not that long after my daughter was calling out, trying to find her father.  I knew she didn't want to talk to me so I was quiet, but I eventually said, "he's picking up Uncle Bob at the airport."  She said, "oh."   She repeated 'oh' three more times slowly when she realized she had talked to me.  

Then, unexpectedly, with the inflection of an adult, she said, "Oh come here" and bounded over to give me a big hug.   I have been forgiven I think. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son designed a program on paper today.  He wanted to code it and asked if he could work on the computer to do so.   He did a good bit of work on his project. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  After my daughter gave me a forgiving hug, I said, "quick, run outside, Uncle Bob will be here shortly and you wanted to surprise him from up in the tree!"  Off she ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment