Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Geography and History

My son is so interested in maps and history right now.  He's been asking us to print out maps, which he redraws in pencil via the tracing method.  He watches historical documentary short videos on YouTube while he does this.   All the while, he's thinking up ways you could play a game with the countries and maps and how it might relate to real history. 

I was very impressed with what he was doing tonight so I had him come to the craft room where I pulled out my collection of map flags (something he knows a lot abut because they use them at school.)  I had another container of short, round ball head pins in different colors that I gave him and then I pulled out a piece of corrugated cardboard that is different from almost all cardboard as the corrugations were an inch thick.

This was perfect for him to put his map on top of as it could hold the pins.   He really wanted me to pick a country and then we were going to have maneuvers with our armed forces.   This was back in the days of the first world war. 

I would have stayed and played with him for an hour or two, but I had to make sure his sister was in bed and not asleep with her clothes from the day on and then my husband was waiting for me to finish a post for Filament Stories downstairs, but I promised I'd come back and play more later. 

The Big Boy Update:  I told my son there were two games I was going to order because I couldn't find mine in the attic.  One was Stratego, and is one of my childhood favorites.   I think he'll love that and I'll play any time with him.   The other is Risk, which is more complex, but my son loves complex games. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has the responsibility of getting me up in the morning.  For two days, I have slept through my loud alarm for some unknown reason.   I need to get them to school—on time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment