Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Remembering Japan

We're visiting my parents and we went to one of the Hibachi restaurants last night where they cook the meal in front of you.  I got to sit by my father and he and I shared a bit of sake, something that seems like such a tiny bit of alcohol divided by the two of us over the full course of the meal.   Tiny little cups of sharp tasting rice wine shared between us.  

My father told me about when he went to Japan.  I was quite young when he went with a business associate of his.   Dad's memory isn't what it used to be, but he remembers some things from his past very clearly.   I couldn't remember who he went with but he said immediately, "Floyd Mathias" when I asked.  He told me about the different places he went and some of what he did while there.  

I remember him coming home with so many things from the trip.  My father and I love to shop and back in 1980 or somewhere around there we didn't have the same global economy so my father stocked up before coming back.   Even today I see things from that trip in their home.  

About five minutes later my father would tell me about his trip again and we'd reminisce over the time he had.   It was nice to hear him talk about it.  He really loved that trip where he collaborated with professionals in Japan. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son played Scrabble with my mother, husband and daughter.  He was exultant when he scored a lot and vocally unhappy when other people were doing better. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is s good with words.  She loved playing scrabble with the help of her father for positioning and what the letters on the tiles were.   They are inset and we can feel that inset, but it's not enough to be able to read them.  Plus, she doesn't read capital letters much.  It's too hard.  I can close my eyes and I can't even tell what they are.   But she can remember the board layout and the letters she has.  And she's very good with words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment