Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Fighting Independence

My daughter is sitting beside me playing The Veil, an audio game she is currently obsessed with.  But she has to ask every time she wants to get into the game.   She needs us to go to her father's computer (she waits until he's not working on it) and double-click on the application.  

It's not hard to do for us because the app is sitting on the desktop at the top.   Sometimes we have to change the audio output to the headphones, but much of the time, it's already on the headphones and not the speakers.   Wouldn't it be nice if she could sit down, put the headphones on and ask the computer to start the game for her?

Voice technology has been around for a long time, and there are requirements that software is accessible.   All we need to do is figure out what the steps are.  But my daughter has such little patience with it.   Getting the computer to understand her voice is part of the start, but she just wanted to have us get in the game and let her play. 

I think we made progress today and the idea is now in my daughter's head. I said to her, "wouldn't it be nice if you didn't need us to get in the game?"   I'll see if she pushes for it in the future.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son is creating levels in a video game, then he's giving his character so many powers you can't see the screen but he loves to have us come over and look at his creation and how powerful he is.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter desperately wants her father or me to take her somewhere to do something.   Her summer is tough in that way.  The friends on the street have changed in the past few years with people moving away, and there aren't as many camps for visually impaired children.  We have her in some activities, but she doesn't want to do her own thing and be left alone like her brother.   She is a social being.

No comments:

Post a Comment