Tuesday, July 5, 2022

It's The Fourth of July?

It's the Fourth of July and my husband along with his parents from some months back on a trip through the state below us with more lenient fireworks laws had a load of fireworks to set off after dark tonight.  I stayed in the house with the dog who tried to sit on my head the entire time shivering.  

You can't comfort the dog other than let her be there with you.   Saying, "it's okay, you're fine" again and again reinforces the behavior in some inner dog brain way so says the Dog Whisper from back in the day when I watched him all the time.  So I was there with her and stayed as close to her as she wanted while she worked through it.   She got better after a while and was more comfortable, but there were a lot of very loud booms.

I think our street had the most booms and the loudest.   I also think the fathers had a great time setting them all off. 

The Big Boy Update:  The best part was when my son came downstairs today around four-thirty and I said we had to clean up in preparation for the fourth of July.   "It's the fourth of July? I didn't know it was the fourth of July!  Is it really the fourth of July?  <long pause>  I didn't even know it was July!"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was very excited that the dragons and other models the boys who come over to jump on the trampoline had requested.   She wanted to make sure we got the models and gave them out when they came to the door.  

No comments:

Post a Comment