Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Printer's Block

You've heard of writer's block?   Well, I've had printer's block the past few days.   There are millions upon millions of models I could download and print and yet nothing looks good.  Nothing seems right for the filaments I'm trying to print something for.   

For Filament Stories, I can print what I want with relative impunity.  Actually, I can print what I want for anything, and it won't really matter too much.  But I put pressure on myself to get the perfect models for the Protopasta videos we're making.  I want to be sure whatever I print really does a good job of showing their filaments in the best light.  

Then there is the work I've accepted from other companies in the form of sponsorships.  If a company is paying us to use their product, be it a filament or other 3D printing-related thing, I want to do a good job.   If it's a filament I've bought and am printing something with it, there is the least amount of worry because hey, I liked the filament, I bought it (filament isn't very expensive), and I'm printing something with it.  The company is getting some exposure as a result, and we have people watching our videos. 

But picking good models is important.  It might be the perfect thing to show the filament, but if the model is boring, well, then the content is pretty boring.   If the model is exciting but a complete pain to print, and I say four-letter words at the filament and printer because nothing is working, then it's not helpful. 

So I need the perfect models to be exciting, fun, interesting, easy to print, not too big but not too small that will absolutely not be a mess to print.   This is why I sometimes get printer's block.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son almost starved the other day.  It was pretty scary.   For an entire day we were out of pretzles.   He lives on pretzles.   I don't know how he eats as many as he does.   They are low calorie so he isn't gaining weight, in fact he's quite thin. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter continues to make more detailed and interesting balloon animals. She has gone through hundreds of balloons at this point twisting them into all different kinds of shapes.   She loves it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment