Saturday, April 2, 2022

Some Days I Worry

Are we doing a good job as parents?   I worry about that every day.  I think it's something parents from the start of time have worried about.  My son and I got into a discussion in the car that was heated this morning and I told him I worried he was behaving the way he was because of something we did, or didn't do as parents.   

Were we acceptive of behavior that we shouldn't be?  Were we overly harsh on him and he's being angry as a result at other people?  I just don't know.  Parenting is one of life's great mysteries.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son was excited to come home from school today and do more practicing with his mouse clicking skills.   His most recent thing is getting a wooden board to do stuttering moves with his mouse fingers so as to build up some skill to do some sort of clicking thing that will give him and advantage at doing something.   Just like all other parents in the world, I am very in tune to the exact things that are popular these days. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was unhappy at me today when I told her I wasn't getting her another audiobook, because I had gotten her a lot of audio books on BARD, part of the library for the blind.  She had a lot of new books, including one from my childhood by Arthur C. Clarke about a boy who  gets stranded at sea and is rescued by dolphins.   But she wasn't interested in any of those books.   She also didn't want to get dressed all day.   Or practice reading on her refreshable braille display.   I played some games with her and hid an Easter egg or two for her to find.   She beat me at Chutes and Ladders and then we had a lightning round to see how fast we could get to the top.  She surprised me in knowing that to get there in the fewest moves, she'd figured out you needed to take a chute at one point after a huge ladder to get in position to hit the final ladder spot that takes you to the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment