Friday, April 15, 2022

How Tired Makes No Sense

I'm on vacation.  My workload is drastically, and I mean dras-tick-lee reduced.  I admit I was low on sleep and we were extra tired by the time we got out of town to come to Florida to visit with my in-laws for the week.   The first few days I slept in late, went to sleep early and lounged around during the day. 

My mother- and father-in-law have been wonderful (as they always are) with doing things with the children.  They were playing with them, my mother-in-law always make sure everyone is fed and the children were busy with the pool, their newest best friend.   And yet I was tired.  

I have continued to be tired all week.   Or am I tired?  Maybe I'm just lazy, I'm not sure what the reason is, but I've been wanting to sleep late, go to bed early and even nap during the day.   Is it the lack of things on my ever-increasing to-do list like I have at home?  I'm not really sure. 

We're still releasing content on social media at the same pace as we normally do while at home, something we can only do because of a lot of work we did before leaving to prepare seven videos we could release while here as well as prints I could do some quick little videos with my daughter or other things here that were summer and Easter themed.  

YouTube still seems to like us.  I'm not sure what's happened but after eight months of struggling to get the Algorithm to see us and suggest our content, it is going non-stop.  We're at a run rate of twenty million impressions in a twenty-eight-day period, meaning YouTube is putting our content in front of people five million times per week.  Not every impression is selected by someone.  When someone clicks on a link, it is called a "click-through" and there is an associated CTR (Click-Through Rate) which is an indication of how interesting your content is.  The more people click on your video, the better you're doing on the thumbnail, making it look interesting.   Of the people who watch your content, only a fraction of those will subscribe to your channel.  We're still at over a thousand new subscribers each day, which I consider crazy, knowing how we went for months just trying to get that first thousand subscribers. 

So the social media continues, but it's at a dull roar and more on autopilot while on vacation.  YouTube sees that we're still publishing things so it is continuing to suggest our content.   On another front, we also go a second month's bonus from the YouTube Shorts Fund.  It's not a lot, not even close to a sustainable revenue, but it's more than zero, and more than we thought we would ever get from the shorts views.   With that and the monetization income coming in (also a very small amount otherwise known as a pittance), we are actually potentially on the way to making meaningful money in a year or two if things keep going at the same pace.   But with social media, things can change any time for reasons almost always out of your control.  I'm just excited we've made money at all, no matter how small. 

Next week it's back to the busy hours and the children will be back in school.   I'll be glad to get back but also sad for the vacation to be over. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son pushed my daughter into the pool today and then took her kickboard.  He had to stand there and get pushed in by her.  He was not happy about this.  He complained about being cold (just like she did). And then he had to get out after a few minutes, dry off and have sunscreen applied.   He did not one bit like having done to him what he did to her.   Good. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is liking being able to listen to audiobooks without being told she can't have the next book.   But she doesn't want to learn how to navigate the interface.   She fights being independent, even though she very much wants to be independent.   Once she learns, she loves it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment