Sunday, April 10, 2022

Copyright Strikes and Claims

We had twenty-one videos on YouTube that were directly taking our video and then posting it on their YouTube channel.  YouTube caught it, let us know, and we had the videos taken down   We asked YouTube ti to do thus fir ys, 

Other tha filling out a lot of information, the process was simple.  Today, I noticed two more had shown up.  I did the same thing, the form was now filled in so the process was even easier.  We are getting emails now (we're up to four) from the channel owner, begging us to remove our claim as he has two strikes against his channel already.  The question is, do we remove the claim?

If it was an accident, I would do so, even though he copied our video in its entirety and posted it, thinking it might be a mistake and a lack of understanding of how things worked.  But he has two things going against him: first, he has eighty thousand subscribers and should know the rules well at this point, and second, there are may more videos apparently copied from TikTok and reposted.   Both of those makes me not want to help him.  It may be that we're the only account that flagged the issue because the other channels only do TikTok and so he is getting away with the copying with impunity.

I'll decide what to do tomorrow.  In the meantime, we had a copyright claim put on one of our videos.   When I realized what I'd done, I could have kicked myself.  The "claim" isn't the same thing as a "strike: like we had from the channels that copied our content.   I had had some music playing on Spotify in the background and one os the song owners has brought the copyright claim against us.  

It was stupid to use the music in retrospect.   We have a music service we use for our videos.  It includes a huff amount of songs we can use in any video content we make. Our video stays up but has been demonetized.  Any ad revenue coming in from the video goes to the song one.  

Lesson learned.   We have a lot of lessons to go, I'm sure.   We do try to do the right thing and always give credit or ask permission. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: my daughter wanted to get into the pool straight away this morning.  After donning her swimsuit, she wanted to be sunscreen.  She wanted it everywhere, and lots of it.  She remembered last year when she got so terribly.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son s getting corrected constantly, and I do mean constantly.  He is doing all sorts of negative things just from his high energy and desire to bother his sister yet still wanting to play with her.  We have to break the cycle, I told him tonight after he exploded, saying everything he did was wrong.  I talked to him a little bit about it.  He was receptive, but he still has a terrible self-image and I don't think one little conversation is going to take some work on all our parts to get things turned around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment