Thursday, May 1, 2014

Solicitations

I am new to fundraising.  It is not something I had any interest in doing.  It is something I feared.  It is something I am now doing, and I'm not so sure I actually mind it. 

I've had two meetings in the last two days in which I asked people to commit to contributing large amounts of money to our school's new building project.   A year ago, the thought of approaching people and asking them for large amounts of money made me uncomfortable at best.  To put it mildly, I absolutely, positively, did not want to ask people for money, no sir, not me, no way, no how.

It wasn't that I didn't believe in the cause, because I did.  It's just that I needed to understand several  things:
- I am not asking for myself
- I have no need
- I am not desperate
- I believe in the cause
- I have dignity

Knowing this, I've done something I never thought I would be able to:  ask for money with confidence and without guilt. 

The Big Boy Update:  The Gobbler.  My son spent the afternoon with Mimi.  When I came to pick him up, he was playing with her stapler remover, that he was calling, "the gobbler".  He had a piece of paper and he was making holes in it with glee.  There were stories he was telling me about how the gobbler was gobbling up the hole (one of the three hole punch holes) and how that hole was going to taste delicious to the gobbler.  I think I could have left him there for another two hours with that one piece of paper and staple remover.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I had lunch today with my ex-husband.  We get together about twice each year to see how things are going in each other's lives.  Yes, our marriage failed, but it wasn't bitter and we keep in touch.  He has a daughter that's six-months younger than mine and I found out today they're expecting a son in six months.  He stopped back by the house and came in to say hello.  My daughter (who has met him twice before) ran right up to him and hugged him and then had a great time running around and having him chase her.  She was about the most charming child I could have ever asked for.

Fitness Update:  Bicep workout.  I think our trainer heard me when I said I wanted to do pullups.  He had us doing all manner of bicep exercises today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment