Thursday, May 8, 2014

Nose Picker

What if I told you I had a friend who picked his nose.  I know, it's not the most savory mental image.  But what if I further told you that this friend, in the privacy of his own home, ate what came out of his nose.  Would you be offended?  Would you be repulsed?  Would you avoid this person in the future?

Does what this person does in their private space have any impact on me or my life?  No.  Does it affect me personally if they choose to consume and digest things that come from their own body?  No.  In short, does it harm me in any way?   I think not.

But what if this person were gay?   I was having a conversation with our best friend, Uncle Jonathan, and he was telling me about  a politician's statement that made it clear whatever someone did in their own home, in private, alone, clearly offended and "hurt" them just because it didn't conform to their personal notion of propriety. 

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.   I can't explain it any more clearly.  If someone doesn't wash behind their ears or uses too much nasal spray or never bothers to shave or chews their nails or any other number of personal choices that doesn't in any way affect me, why do I care?

Be happy with who you are.  Be happy that other people are finding their own way to be happy.

The Big Boy Update:  "Did Blake and the frog kill the worm?"  This was in some way related to the fishing trip my son went on with Blake and his father this past weekend.  This is also something I don't understand.  Apparently my husband does though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Skirts hid wet underpants.  It's true.  I think she had peed in her underpants for over an hour, possibly more than once, before I figured out the skirt was acting as subterfuge.  She didn't complain when I asked her to put her wet pants in the basket and get new pants though.

No comments:

Post a Comment