Saturday, May 17, 2014

Doing Nothing Can Be Hard

I have something I want to do.  It's on my list of things to do and I have a reminder sitting in my inbox to make sure I don't forget to do it.  I have a calendar reminder that will remind me.  In short, I'm not going to forget.   This thing I'm not going to forget however, is something that I can't forget.  It's important to me that I don't miss this important thing.   What I'd most like to do is do the thing now, and then I could check off my list that it's done and let it be someone else's problem. 

Have you ever been in a position where you want to hand off the problem, but if you do you're just going to be more worried that the person you handed it off to was going to mess it up?  That's what's keeping me from doing anything yet.

This thing I need to do is put an announcement in the paper for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.   And before you gasp and say, "oh no, doesn't your mother read your blog?!"  Yes, she and my father do, but they know about this newspaper announcement.  I didn't want to do something they wouldn't want, so they're aware of the announcement.  But maybe they'll have forgotten it's coming up and when it appears in the paper it will be a nice thing that will make them smile.   I really can't wait; the pictures of them fifty years ago and now are so lovely.  It's going to be great.

So let me side-track for a minute and tell you about a thing that happened and why I'm in this must wait/don't want to wait position.  I also helped coordinate a congratulations announcement in their club's monthly newsletter.  I had the information ready early, I worked with their media coordinator and they were pleased to be able to announce such a wonderful accomplishment of two of their members.   And then...the announcement came out in April instead of June. 

Had I just waited until closer to their anniversary, there wouldn't have been an opportunity to put it in early.  This probably won't happen with the newspaper, a much larger entity, but that one mistake gave me pause.

So now I'm waiting until closer to the time of their anniversary to call up and finalize the announcement after my inquiry some months ago.  I hate waiting for the sake of waiting.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been saying, "okay pahmer" for a week or so now.  We have no clue what pahmer means.  Today I asked him at two separate times during the day what "pahmer" meant and both times he immediately answered, "pahmer means mommy".   I have a new name.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "There's some waurmer bands in here."  My daughter had this electrical thing she'd found in a drawer this morning.  It had a plastic base and some colorful wires coming out of the end into another plastic piece.  We realized she was trying to say "rubber bands" and the wires looked like rubber bands.   Her brother had found a rubber band earlier and she had been looking for her own "waurmer bands" until she found the electrical component in a sealed bag.  We got her a rubber band for effort.

Fitness Update:  Nine miles.  Would have liked to run ten, but time was not on our side as my husband and his father had places to go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment