Friday, May 9, 2014

Not That Adventurous

There is this path into the park across the street from our neighborhood.  This is that big, natural park that's wonderful to run in and do all sorts of nature-type activities.  I've biked and I've run in the park.  I've walked and I've pushed a stroller.  I've even biked with children on the back of our bikes.

I've gone into the secondary trails, but only a few times because while they're great for hiking, they're not so good for running and I don't want to sprain or break an ankle.  So for the most part, I look at the lovely woods from the bike and bridle trails.

I enter the park from the same several entrances most of the time but I've been noticing through the winter when the leaves are absent from the trees that there's another road.   It's directly off the road I drive down every day.  It's grown over, although clearly a road.  It's got a metal barrier preventing curious cars from driving in.   But it was definitely walkable.  And I wanted to see what was there.

Today, I asked my neighbor if she wanted to try it out with me.   She said sure, so we ran along the main road until the overgrown side road appeared.  We went in and decided in short order that it really wasn't great for running.   We pressed on.   Then, my neighbor said she sure hoped none of this overgrowth was poison ivy.  Eep.  I hoped the same thing.  We pressed on, although more slowly.

There were lots of fallen branches and vines as the road was beside a small stream.   The road was clearly there, but there were more obstructions.   We wavered.  We really weren't out for that much of an adventure.  We just wanted to find a new run.

Then we decided to head back to our main run, only could we cut through the woods to get to the path?  We thought we might know the way, but we weren't sure the direction and we didn't really know how far.  We climbed rocks and went right-ish in the hopes we'd find our way.

We met a turtle, lots of fallen trees, vines, loads of spider webs and then there was the trail, just where we thought it would be.  Maybe when the children are a little older they'll want to go on an adventure with me to find where the old road ends.

The Big Boy Update:  He has a cup folder.  It's in his car seat and he puts his cup or sippy cup or juice box in it.  It is not a cup holder though.  He says it's a cup folder.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Why Dye Turt"  Reese wanted to wear her tie dye shirt to school today she told us in her own special pronunciation.

Fitness Update:  Uncle Jonathan joined us to go see Don today.  I've been hoping he'd like to join us at some point  Don did one of his Friday Fall Down workouts.  It was fun with the three of us.  I hope Uncle Jonathan wants to come back with us in the future.   Then, I did a short four-mile run this afternoon because it's spring and it's just so nice outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment