Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pool Paddlin'

My children aren't afraid of the water at the pool this year.  They're not total daredevils and they do like their inner tubes, but they'll jump in, splash around and have a good time for hours.

The inner tubes are fun and give them mobility.  They give them the ability to move all around the pool, but they're not tied to them like they would be with a life vest type device.   They take them on and off, throw them into the middle of the pool and then have to wait for them to make it to the other side to get them back. 

They also like to swim with their crocs on.  I don't know why, they don't help in the paddling, but it seems to be fun for a while.  My son likes to put on these mini-flippers that someone left in the "shared toys" box at the pool.  He likes to kick around in them and he likes to run in them on the pool deck.  I don't like it when he does the latter.  Shouts of, "walking feet!" can be heard coming from me whenever he does this. 

It's a nice time for me because I don't have to hold them in the water every minute and I have reasonable confidence they're not about to sink underwater at any moment.  In a few weeks we're going to start swim lessons.  That should give them even more freedom in the water.

The Big Boy Update:  "I want you to keep it on."  My son was getting in the car at pickup today when he turned to the administrative assistant, Corley, and said, "your dress has polka dots".   She said, "yes, it does".  He said, "I want you to keep it on".   Coming from anyone other than a toddler, that comment might have been an insult, but from him, it was a compliment.  I don't remember him ever complimenting someone on their dress before.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Reverse birthmark.  We're using sunscreen, but some tanning still occurs.  My daughter has on the back of her leg a reverse-birthmark that doesn't show up until she has a bit of a tan.  I had forgotten all about it until today when I saw the spot (about a quarter in diameter) that just doesn't tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment