Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spiders and Letters

We do this thing from time to time in our family that may or may not cause you to gasp and say we're terrible parents.  It's conveinent, fun, and my kids love it.   We go to McDonald's.

I know what you're thinking, "how could you?  They're just babies.  You should be feeding them kale and beets and mineral water purified in the intestines of a yak."  

<power interruption> Oh dear, I'm going to have to wrap this blog post up because we're in the middle of heavy rains that are causing flash flood warnings which apparently make our power flicker.   I'm in the dark, except for my monitor...and I'm still typing.   My computer is on a battery backup and somehow we still have have internet connectivity.   My husband lost cell connection to his sister when the power dropped, but heck, I have computer and connectivity.   I guess I'd better type quickly before my computer backup or the internet connection drops on me.


Okay back to McDonald's.  We go there, my son calls it "chicken fries" or at least he used to.  Now he just calls it "Old MacDonald's".  We get them happy meals.  Happy meals come with a toy: either a "boy" or a "girl" version.    If you say,"boy" you will see the words, "truck toy" appear on the drive-through monitor.  If you say, "girl" the words, "doll toy" appear.

But you're not going to get a truck or a doll.  You're going to get something different for each.  It really depends on the toy campaign.  Sometimes both are great and sometimes neither are.  The other week we got one of each type during the Spiderman campaign.

The boy toy was a wind-up walking spider.   This thing is cool.  It walks and looks creepy and both my children like carrying it around, trying to sneak it into school and seeing if their little fingers can wind it up.

The girl toy was totally different.  It was a set of pink note cards.  You got four spider-lady letters and four spider-lady post cards.  There was a pink spider-lady pencil and bonus stickers to dress up your spider-correspondence.

The spider is fun now.  I saved the cards.  Maybe when my children are old enough to write we'll mail you a spider-letter.

The Big Boy Update:  It turns out real toothpaste isn't is tasty as non-flouridated, candy-flavored, toddler toothpaste they use (and swallow) now.  I caught my son this afternoon after he'd put a big blob of my toothpaste in his mouth.  He was suffering punishment enough trying to get it out through a combination of wiping his tongue on his shirt and spitting into the sink. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "I wanna go first too!"  My daughter told my son this after he proclaimed he was going first.

Fitness Update:  Ran six miles.  Looking forward to the weekend because five days in a row where I don't get to sleep to seven o'clock and I'm a tired momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment