Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Kids Say So Many Things

My children are at an age where they say things that are so charming you can't help but laugh at them.  Fortunately, they're not overly upset that you're laughing, because they know you've liked what they just said. 

The Big Boy Update:  
I told him he'd be visiting another classroom today that he'll be attending next year.  In order to get him excited about the visit, I told him he would see Arden, one of his friends, when he got there.  He looked at me and said, "Arden is a tricky girl."

It was time to go to school.  He didn't want to get his shoes on.  He had gotten into the toy closet and found the tool belt and tools.  He held his hand out at me, walked away with the tools and said, "I need to get to work."

My son asked for another piece of pita bread before dinner tonight.  My husband told him something and all I heard in reply from my son was, "it's poison ivy."  What?  My husband told me he had warned my son about poison ivy down the hill in the back yard earlier in the day and my son had mad an association with bad things and poison ivy, including pita bread apparently.

Scratching.  My son is itchy a lot.  He knows he's not suppose to scratch and he's got newer and more creative ways to tell us what he's doing is most definitely not scratching, all while he's scratching the skin off his legs or arms.  Today's responses included: "I'm just rubbing", "no, no, it doesn't itch" and "I'm just putting my fingernails out."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: 
She told me the potty at gymnastics was like the potty we have at home.  I asked her how many pottys we had at home and she started counting.  She was counting using her fingers and ticking off the numbers.  She was very intent on counting the pottys and using her fingers to do so.  She got it all wrong, but she was going through the process just like she had it all right.

Hairbrush.  My daughter will ask for the hairbrush, but by now I know that means she wants to brush her teeth.  I've explained this to her several times, but she doesn't seem to care.

Seven pair of pants.  Some days are good days with the toileting and some are bad.  The other day, for no apparent reason, she went through seven pair of pants and underpants in a four-hour period.  She would even get up and say she had to go to the potty and then wet her pants on the way.  After seven pair of pants, I put her in a pull-up.   She dislikes a pullup.  She was better the next day.

My mother was with my daughter on their deck the other afternoon.  Gramps came around the corner with a wheel barrow laden with heavy bricks.  My daughter casually looked over the edge and told him, "get to work, Gramps."

Fitness Update:   Gym early in the morning and then a half-hour at the fitness room doing some exercises to strengthen the weak arm I've been dealing with for the past year-and-a-half.

No comments:

Post a Comment