Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I'm at School...and I'm Naked

Have you ever had one of those dreams where you're somewhere and suddenly everyone is laughing at you and you realize you're naked?  I think when I was growing up I had that dream numerous times and usually I was at school and my classmates (the popular ones in particular) were laughing at me.

Today, I subjected my son to that very thing.   We'd been told by multiple parents, teachers and even the head of school that if there is ever a problem where the child just won't listen, is rebellious, refuses to comply or any of a long list of, "I am not going to do it just because" type of things happens, that we should take the very specific action of inaction and bring the child to school.

Don't want to put on your shoes?  Fine, you get to walk to class from carpool line in the wintery cold weather with bare feet.  Don't want to put your clothes on?  Not a problem, you can go to school naked.   And that's just what happened this morning.  

I won't go into all the details of what happened, but suffice it to say after numerous warnings my son was carted off to the car in his pajama top and nothing else.  His clothes (and the breakfast he refused to eat) were in his school bag.  I called his teacher to warn her in advance and then we headed to school.

My son was upset...to the extreme.  It was quite a sight.  He regretted his decision of rebellion, but cries of, "I want to start over" and "I want to go back where we started" got him no where, because we were on the way to school.

When we arrived and the teachers at the drop-off line realized what was happening, they swooped in and got my daughter out of the picture.  My son had to head to class with no pants on.   He has never been told nudity is bad, so there was no stigma there, but he didn't want to be carried into class undressed and upset even so.

When he arrived at class he calmed down, they helped him get dressed and then he ate his breakfast.  They talked to him about what happened and he decided to listen in the future when it was time to go potty and get his clothes on.

We shall see how things go tomorrow.  I hear you only have to take them to school naked once.

The Big Boy Update:  "I can't calm down" he told me after requesting numerous times to "go back where we started".  He desperately wanted to start the day over and put his clothes on instead of being driven to school naked.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "I know, sweetie."  My daughter repeated those words to my son after I told him that.  I was trying to console him for not having his clothes on and not listening.  He didn't very much like his sister trying to talk to him using the same words.  

Fitness Update:  Bench presses.  We've never done them.  I won't tell you how much weight we pressed, because even though we've been working out, the amount we can bench press is still pitifully small.  Still, it was a fun thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment