Thursday, May 22, 2014

The House Rundown

My husband and I are about to embark on our first vacation away from the children where we leave the children at home and we fly away to lands unknown while other people take care of our children.   Our children will be miserable, we'll feel guilty about the whole thing and we'll all be exhausted when we see each other again.   Either that, or everyone is going to have a fantastic time all around.

I vote for the latter.  My children are being taken care of by their Nana and Papa, two people who they like far better than their parents on most days.   My in-laws have arrived and the fun has already started with my children.  Honestly, I don't think they're even going to miss us. 

My husband and I on the other hand will be traveling to the not unknown but rather well-known land of Las Vegas.  We're helping friends celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary.  They got married in Las Vegas and we're glad to be joining them for their anniversary.  And as much as we love our children, I don't suspect we'll be pining away for them at all.  We know they're in good hands with their grandparents.  Besides, we've got things to do and money to lose.

So tonight I took my mother-in-law around and gave her a full run-down of everything I thought she might need to know about routine, location of stuff, medication dosages, doctor's number in case of illness, how to work the television, how to do laundry, who the neighbors are and their phone numbers and lots of other little things. 

We've left the children with Uncle Jonathan before for periods of time, but he's been with our children and this house since the day we moved in and he knows where everything is.  So to make sure I didn't forget anything, I took my in-laws on a walking tour of the house in the hopes that as we enter a room or area, anything they might need to know would be triggered by proximity.

That said, I'm sure I forgot sixteen crucial things they'll need to know in the first six hours after we've left town.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is, "never again" allowed to have a Starbucks drink stopper.  I got very mad at him and snapped.  I said what I said and now I have to stick to it to be credible.  He put it up his sister's nose.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The cinnamon toast song.  My daughter participated in a research study today.  She was doing well, even though she was tired.  At one point she was expected to play by herself (while I pretended to be unavailable).  She played with toys and sang to herself the entire time.  One song was all about cinnamon toast and consisted of the two words, "cinnamon" and "toast" repeated in varying ways over and over.  I couldn't help but laugh.  The testers said it was tough for them not to laugh behind the curtain.

Fitness Update:  Gym this morning was interesting.  Not much of a workout but a lot of education on IT band countermeasures and stabilizing muscles (and how mine are crappy) as well as alternate ways to warm up that might be a better benefit than the cardio workout we've been doing so far.   Then I ran four miles before dinner with my neighbor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment