Saturday, March 1, 2014

What's the Temperature?

I think I've written about this before, but I find my interest in temperature has been growing over time.  Without children, I never cared what the temperature was.  I would put on a jacket or coat or I wouldn't.  If it was really cold, I might bring gloves or select an even heavier coat.  If it's warm, I go the opposite direction with less or lighter clothes.

With children, my interest in what the temperature is now and what the temperature will be in the next five hours has increased dramatically.  Putting the proper amount of clothing on them for the upcoming school day, which involves play time outside unless it's raining, means you have to know what the temperature is now and what it's going to be mid-day. 

I've also never paid attention to the amount of fluctuation the temperature makes during the day.  I know it usually starts cooler, heats up and then cools down later, but by how much in general and how quickly, I never paid much attention to because I was reasonably comfortable and since I can dress myself, changes in temperature were something I could adapt to.  My children haven't learned this yet.

Do we go to the park?  It's thirty-three degrees now so maybe not this morning.  But look, by ten o'clock it will be forty-five degrees.  Okay, park it is.   

We can't leave these decisions up to my children yet.  Only yesterday, my son wanted to go swim in the neighborhood swimming pool.  He said he was, "berry warm" and it would be fine, regardless of how cold I told him the pool would be.  Finally I said, "the pool is closed."

The Big Boy Update:  Gassy.  My son (and daughter too) have had terribly gas lately.  They are little tiny people but the sounds that come out of their bottoms are impressive.  They're eating the same things my husband and I are, aside from snack at school, and we don't have the same issue.  What in the world are they having for snack?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Sick and sleepy.  My daughter fell asleep on our bed this morning about nine o'clock, which was strange.  She was working on the iPad and just fell asleep in the middle.  I couldn't wake her up easily, so we checked her temperature.  She had a reasonably high fever so she's been on fever-reducing medication all day.   She's not been particularly unhappy, just tired.  We'll see if the rest of us catch whatever this is she has. (I say that like there's a chance we won't...of course we will.)

No comments:

Post a Comment