Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Happy Sad Dinner

We had dinner plans with friends this evening. We were going to take our children over to their house early and play on their trampoline and in their back yard.  About an hour before we were planning on leaving I got a text message from my friend saying, "I have something to tell you, but you have to promise you'll still come over." 

I told her I'd already bought the dessert, so we were in.  She said their cat had taken a turn for the worse and she had to leave to put the cat to sleep shortly after we arrived.   This cat they had gotten the week after their daughter, now thirteen, was born.  So this was a sad day for their family.  It was also the second cat they'd lost in a very short time, the one today going downhill quickly after the last cat he'd known all his life wasn't in the house any more.

But if they wanted us to come, we would come.  I told my husband I didn't know how to act, because it was a sad time, but they wanted us to come over.  So...we came and we acted like we normally would have.

We played on their swing set and jumped on their trampoline.  My son loved the toys in their son's room and my daughter found a barbie car but insisted Barbie wasn't Barbie when my friend's daughter showed her one.

We had dinner and then headed out.  I spoke with my friend briefly about it afterwards and she said that yes, they needed a day with some cheer in it and she was glad we came and had fun with them.

The Big Boy Update:  Tying my shoes under the table.  My son decided to untie my shoes under the table today.  And what does my son like to do with ropes and strings?  That's right, he likes to tie them.  He didn't realize how funny we thought it was as we watched him try and tie all four lace ends together at once.

The Tiny Girl Updates:  "I don't need it."  This is a new phrase my daughter has been using.  At dinner tonight when she was done eating she told us she didn't need it.  When I stuck her painting on the refrigerator after school she got a stool, drug it to the refrigerator and pulled the artwork off saying, "we don't need it."

Fitness Update: Gym again.  I finally made it back. Good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment