Monday, March 10, 2014

Bong Bong We Have a Gong

My father makes yard art-type of things from various materials.  Usually, those materials are industrial in nature.  My father likes things that are solidly made and his yard art pieces live up to that standard.

I asked him a few years ago if he could make me one of his gongs for my deck.  These gongs aren't to be trifled with; they're made from an air canister that's been sawed off (and I'm guessing you'd need a plasma torch to do that) and then he solders on a trailer hitch knob to the top and then an ring on the top of that to hang it.

Then, he made me a mounting bracket and attached a clapper that I can grab and bang back and forth to make a very nice sounding "bong bong bong" noise.  Why would I need an industrially-built gong on the back of my porch, you might well ask?  One word, "children".

We have woods behind our house and there is a stream and there are children all around our house that my children like to play with.  I know in years to come that that gong is gong to make calling my children in to dinner so much easier.

Thanks, Dad. We love it.


The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted a "pet-sa-roni drink" for snack.  When further questioned, he told me he either wanted a petsaroni drink or a petsaroni pizza.  Ah, that's what that word is.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   "You gotta be gentle mommy."   My daughter told me this after I accidentally dropped my phone on the floor.  I told her she was absolutely right.  (And I said to myself I'm glad she didn't decide to repeat the word I said out loud when I dropped the phone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment