Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Pillow Hunt

I have a crummy neck.  It complains and and gives me grief and I've learned it's better to try and make my neck happy than to ignore it, because ignoring it only makes it complain more loudly later.  One of the things that wouldn't seem important to a normal, happy neck is just the right type of pillow.  Bur for my neck, the wrong pillow can make my night uncomfortable, painful with repercussions into the following day.

I've been on a lazy pillow hunt for some time now because the pillow I had was not thick enough.  The search was passive, because I thought I'd try out the various pillows we have on the other beds so that I could determine what type of pillow I needed.  For several months now I've been pulling different pillows into the bed and giving them a trial run.  I had hoped we already had a pillow that was perfect, but alas, none of them were right.

It was time to take the search into the realm of retail.  I knew I wanted a firm pillow because most of the ones I'd tried in the house weren't thick enough.  Without enough height on the pillow, my arms go numb and the muscles in my shoulders and neck become tight and inflamed.

I remembered in years past having a hard time finding anything other than, "super duper fluffy" pillows, so when I saw a brand that had a "firm" variety I was ready to put it in the cart.  As I was pulling it off the rack, I saw an, "extra firm" version and was certain I had found my new ideal pillow.

I got the pillow home and tried to put the pillow case on it.  Now granted, my sheets are old, but I didn't expect the pillow case to tear, just because the pillow was so big and dense.  I was somehow able to wedge the pillow into a second pillow case and that night, planned on having the best night's sleep I'd had in a long time.

And then I tried to go to sleep...  This pillow was enormous.  It was three feet tall.  It was made out of something solid and unyielding.  This pillow was awful.  I made it until midnight before getting up and getting my old pillow back out.

The next morning I returned the pillow for not the firm, but the "medium" version and have been happy ever since.  It appears I didn't need as firm a pillow as I thought I did.

The Big Boy Update:  My son made a mess on with some cars on the floor in the basement the other day.  My mother told him he had to go downstairs and clean it up before he could do anything else.  He walked down the stairs with her, sat down on the bottom stair and said, "I'm going to watch you clean up the cars."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My son felt ill several days ago.  He wanted to lie down on the sofa and have a blanket over him and do pretty much nothing.  His sister didn't want him to be alone, so she made several trips upstairs to get her pillow, blanket and stuffed animals so she could like near him on the floor.  When I came into the room to see what was happening, she was finishing making up her bed and getting comfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment