Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Sky Sound

We've been having a lot of AccuWeather alerts lately.  I have alerts turned on on my phone, so I get a message with details, not unlike a text message, anytime there's something to note.  In the past month we've had alerts for fire, thunderstorm, tornado, winter storm, and high winds.  There have been alerts for child abduction and lost elderly as well, but those aren't weather specific.

We were in the middle of a long number of hours where high winds might be possible yesterday evening, but my children and family were happily playing in the back year in the remnants of the sun at their water table getting nice and splashed before bath time.

Shortly after we came in it grew dark and just a few minutes later there was the most amazing rain and wind storm I'd ever seem.  My husband, children and I ran out onto our porch to watch it.  My children couldn't appreciate the angle the rain was falling or the sound of the wind or the overall intensity of the storm, but they were excited because we were.

After we put them to bed, I got in bed myself because I'm still not feeling well from this flu/cold I've been working through and as I lay there in bed I was entranced by the sounds being made outside by the weather.  It wasn't raining much, and it wasn't thundering or lightning, but what it was doing was making that "cloud lightning" sound of rumbling thunder.  Only...it didn't stop.  Thunder comes and goes, this was sustained, rising in volume and intensity over more than twenty minutes.  It was beautiful to hear.

I wanted to open a window and listen to it that way, but the amount of wind that was whipping around would have made even the small amount of rain a nuisance in the house. 

I really like weather.

The Big Boy Update:  We were talking with my children about what to do when we got home after lunch.  We decided we would go up to the bonus room and play with the musical instruments together.  We even decided we'd become a band.  When we started talking about band names, my son didn't have much to say until I recommend we could be, "Mimi and the Bops".  At the mention of that he said, "That's not a choice, that's an oatmeal snack!"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My husband found her asleep, on the couch, with her palms face up, iPad on her lap...covered in poo.  Ew.  No devices or leather relaxation pieces were harmed.  Much sanitizer was used in the cleanup process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment