Thursday, March 6, 2014

Well, That Hurt

I fell rather dramatically late this afternoon onto my bottom.  The reaction I always have when I fall is that of protecting my head and neck.  I've had far too much damage in that region for me to think of anything other than protecting that area above all others.  So when I fell, I saved my head, but wounded my backside.

I yelled for my husband, who came running to me.  He asked if I was okay and I said reports were still coming in from various body parts but that I could tell him I was okay in general.  I told him I needed a minute and I'd give him an update. 

He told me my shoe hit the wall and I noticed an unattractive black streak down the side of the wall from the sole of my shoe.  He left to finish making dinner and I slowly got up and got a cloth to clean the wall, because hey, I don't like a messy house.  And yes, that was a silly thing to do next when I wasn't sure if everything was okay or not, but it helped me focus, scrubbing that wall.

And yes, I hurt myself.  I had landed right on the coccyx portion of my backside and I had heard some sort of crunching sound.  This was 4:45 PM.  I decided I'd better schedule an appointment at the orthopedist's office in the morning so I called to schedule something at 5:03 PM.   Their office closed at five o'clock.  Well, it would have to wait until morning.  I texted my neighbor and told her I was out for the gym in the morning and to not freak out but I hurt my backside.

She immediately calls, asks questions and tells me to go to the doctor.  I said, "I will, but they're closed."  She told me the new office (recently opened) had an urgent care orthopedic clinic open until nine o'clock. 

I grabbed my purse, told my husband I would be back (he knew at this point it wasn't good) and drove the three miles to the new office.  They got me right in, took x-rays and told me congratulations, I'd broken my coccyx.  The prize was weeks of pain and discomfort while it heals. 

The doctor gave me some prescriptions to help with the inflammation and pain and I left the office.  After filling the prescriptions I came home and ate dinner that was still on the stove. 

From fall to doctor's office to diagnosis and filled medications, the entire process took less than three hours.  I am thankful to their office for being open.  I am also thankful to my husband because he never once told me I was clumsy or that I should have been more careful.  He's the best.

Now. to find that doughnut pillow...

The Big Boy Update:  Measuring tape.  My son has a keyring measuring tape.  He hadn't seen it in some time, but he apparently remembered it was in the garage and went to get it to measure something this afternoon.  What he didn't remember was that there was a tape that did the measuring.  I watched him measure several things by stretching out the two-inch key chain part alone.  I asked him if he'd like some help using the measuring tape and when I showed him how it pulled out, he was very happy.  So happy that I think he'd still be measuring things now if it weren't past bedtime.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Mickeys.   Did I mention she has an obsession with the Mickey Mouse stuffed animals we have?  There's a Mickey, a Saint's Mickey, a Mini-Minnie, and a tiny Mickey.  She has been carrying around two a lot of the time and if she could figure out how to hold all four at once, I think she'd have a Disney entourage with her at all times.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. I broke my coxysis years ago and it hurt like h*ll. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete