Wednesday, May 18, 2022

In A Spoiled Play

My daughter is in a play.  Her whole class is.  It is the traditional end of year play her teacher has her class do every year.  Parents come and watch their children play all the parts of traditional children's stories characters in a trial where the Big Bad Wolf is on trial for killing Granny.   

It is supposed to be a surprise when we go see the play I believe, but my daughter wanted to read us the play tonight so while I cleaned up the kitchen from dinner and bread making, she read the story, stoping at certain points to do actions the participants will do from time to time.   She is pretty excited about the play. 

Interestingly, she didn't want to have a big part.  There are lines to be memorized, but memorizing is something she does too well sometimes.   Or perhaps she did want a large part but didn't want to be disappointed if she didn't get one so she intentionally set her expectations low.   I think she's doing this for the Braille Challenge, saying she would like to win third, because she likes bronze.   We've told her she's already one of the top the in her age group across three countries and we're proud no matter what.  

She did a good job of reading the play and in several weeks from now, I will have forgotten all the funny lines when I see it live.   

The Tiny Girl Reading Update:  My daughter hated to read before the year began at school.  She complained of her fingers hurting.  She avoided reading.  She is currently reading four books at once, which is even more reason for her rolling backpack which is always full.   She reads in the car, reads before school, after school, and on weekends.   She still is a die hard audiobook listener, but she's adopted reading as a way to hear stories and learn things without it being a terrible, awful thing those adults said she had to do.

The Big Boy Update:  I was surprised today.  My son came in after school and told me he was sorry for being mean to me and saying mean things.  He said he knew he was upset and said mean things but he didn't realize how he was sounding.   He apologized several times.  I told him thank you and that it meant a lot to me that he would tell me and of course I accepted his apology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment