Monday, May 16, 2022

A Little Pathetic

We went to see my daughter sing in her choir tonight after a nice turkey dinner with my in-laws who had just arrived from Florida.  They're here until January, hooray!  My daughter and I went early so she could be prepared with the singers for the start of the concert. 

Her group of eight younger Chorus girls sang four songs first, then they had some solos, all of which were very nicely done.   After that, the older Chorale group of eight got up and sang some songs and did a very nice job of them.    Then they had some of their members do some solos, and they were very good.  The last one was from Hamilton and she played the piano and sang a complex song at the same time. 

Then both the Chorus and Chorale got up and sang some songs together.   Having sixteen singers on stage at once was even better.  They had some funny Mark Twain bits they sang.  

All in all, it was very nice.  The group had been much, much larger but COVID-19 caused things to go away for a year, and then there were some financial things that apparently happened with compensation and the entire staff of the choir walked out just before the year began this year.   They found a new director and started over with a much smaller group of girls, sixteen being the smallest group in years and years. 

My daughter told me the other day, "We're a little pathetic" when I asked her what she thought about the upcoming performance.   I thought it was an insult, but she meant in volume.  Some of the other seven she was singing with she said sang so quietly.   And boy did they.  She said she didn't feel comfortable belting out the song when everyone besides her was so timid.   

I didn't think they were pathetic even a little bit, but I can see how my daughter might think so after being in her very large school chorus. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was a little sassy today when my in-laws arrived and at dinner, but he was a very good concert attendee.  He sat and listened quietly the whole time. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter heard that the current choir director was leaving as this job was a very long drive for her and she was only filling in until they found a more permanent director.  I was a little worried about that because the lady who is taking over is very nice, but doesn't have a good knack for understanding the needs of VI children.  It's been hard for my daughter for half of the time she spent with her each chorus practice.  She told me tonight she wasn't going to come back next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment