Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Don't You Just Hate It When..

You do your hair, put on good clothes (well, jeans and one of your nicer t-shirts) and go all the way to the basement and then your night doesn't pan out?

Tonight we had plans to make a video.  We did make a video but it's a special one I'm sending to the manufacturer so he can review it.  We didn't get to make the video we wanted to release for tonight.   The one I sent to the manufacturer will have additional B roll added to it and put out possibly tomorrow, but I need him to verify it first.

One of the things the content creators have banded together about is never letting a company review their content first and control what is kept, added or changed.  It puts the relationship in a difficult position and doesn't give the content creator the freedom to say what they really think about the product.

I've never sent a video to a manufacturer before but in this case I asked him if I could record a video to explain what he was telling me about his filament.  He does not speak English and his emails were a bit confusing, but if I understand correctly what he's saying, it will benefit people to understand what's going on.   

It explains how something is in fact a feature, and not an issue.   I even thought it was an issue until I had someone ask in the comments if I was having problems with one particular filament and as coincidence would have it, I was.  I was having an issue I'd never had happen before and it was confusing me.  

The owner of the company explained that their filament was slightly elliptical and why that made things much more reliable in how the colors were printed, but it was at the price of possibly tripping up a printer's runout detection sensor.   Which is exactly what was happening to me. 

So no video for us tonight, but that's okay.  I'm going to celebrate by going to bed only a few minutes after two o'clock.  I was hoping things would happen a little faster today on YouTube because we're about to hit 100,000 subscribers, a number I absolutely had no expectation we'd hit.   Well, initially I did.  Before we started on this Social Media adventure I thought hundreds of thousands of subscribers would flock to our channel the second they heard about us.  And of course everyone was going to tell everyone they knew so clearly that was going to happen in a matter of weeks.   Or so I thought before we'd ever released a single video when I knew next to nothing, okay nothing, about content creation and the Algorithms with a capital A.

We're at 99.927 and typically we get more than seventy-five subscribers overnight.   But we've been slowing down ever so slowly, so we might not be there in the morning.   Heck, morning isn't that many hours away.  I have gotten to the point now that I actually believe we'll get a silver Play button.   When we hit 100,000 I'll find out if YouTube is still awarding them.   I have friends who got theirs a month or so ago so the chances look good that YouTube hasn't stopped.

The Big Boy Update:  My son hasn't learned the lesson that rudeness and disrespect are not okay in this family still.  Yes, he's grumpy in the morning, but that is no excuse.  He was so bad in the car that when he got back in this afternoon I told him he had to go to his room.   He needed to stay only a half-hour, but he should stay as long as it took for him to be ready to be polite and respectful to us.   He turned the day around at that point.  Progress.  Slow progress.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had a long day.  She went to school, stayed late to practice for the Braille Challenge, came home and changed clothes and then went to sing with her choir at a retirement home. When she came home she had a lot of reading to do before going to bed, late, after ten o'clock.  I told her we could get an extension, but she hates having extenuating circumstances as an excuse.


No comments:

Post a Comment