Tuesday, December 14, 2021

In My Bedroom

We're running a live stream of the prints we're doing on the time lapse printer.   What this means is that there is a phone pointing at the printer while it prints.   For hours and hours.   And while it isn't a big issue to have people popping in to see how your print is coming along at varying points in the day since the prints is enclosed in a shrouded box to control lighting, what is an odd thing is that they can hear you. 

And that is good.   And bad.   Because if you're walking by the room in question, say talking about how you heard Aunt Elsie's hemorrhoids were acting up again and she can't make it to the after Christmas tea and crumpets party, well, now everyone listening knows all about poor Aunt Elsie's rather unfortunate condition.   

Or any other thing you might not want anyone in the world who feels like dropping in to hear about.   Thankfully, the room has doors and is in a corner of the house, so it's simple enough to shut the door and keep Aunt Elsie's private life private.   It is an odd thing though, knowing people can hear you and not knowing who's in the room next door. 

But there are advantages too.  I can walk in and start talking about what's printing, who the filament manufacturer is and answer questions people might have about what's going on.   And then I can just walk off whenever I feel like I want to leave.   It's a sight easier than responding to individual texts or messages and it is a way to connect with people in a right now kind of way that is in short bits of time that you alone control. 

We were already printing in the room and walking in there to check on things from time to time.   The prints were already being shared online.   This is a way to watch remotely as things happen.   I remember the first time we got to watch my niece swim at a large meet by connecting to the event online.   The scale and production level is different, but I remember feeling like I was a part of something I wouldn't have otherwise been able to be.     This is different but in a very tiny way it's a bit the same.

The Big Boy Update:  My son (and we) forgot his medication today.  He did not have a good day.   I read him his teacher's email.   He figured out he needed his medcation but didn't know what to say or do about it.  Next time, we'll find out before the day is over and nothing can be done about it. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked if she could please go to the Chiropractor today.   She said she'd been waiting for days while I was out of town and that her back and neck had been bothering her.   we went this morning and she felt better afterwards.   I'm glad she's willing to ask for help.   I always want to help her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment