Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas Has Arrived (Almost)

We were wrapping presents until quite late tonight.  My daughter has been putting braille tags on every present so that she can help in the morning by being "Santa" and helping give out the presents.   Her brother wanted to be involved and got angry that he wasn't included, but he, like he commonly does, waited until the very last minute when he realized his sister was involved and then suddenly wanted to help.  

I told him this was something his sister could do that none of us would be able to do, since the tags were now in braille.   (Well, I can read them, but I didn't remind him of that.)  I told him that of all the things we can do that his sister can't, let's let her have this as something she can do that we can't.   I think he got it.   She wants him involved and tomorrow might be a power struggle between the two of them, but we shall see. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to know if he could watch Bob Ross tonight.   He was a little upset because he realized he hadn't gotten many presents for his family members.   I helped him out some by letting him put his name on presents I had gotten, but he just didn't want to go get presents when we offered to take him.   He was siting in the chair, organizing his colored pencils and intently watching Bob Ross.   Bob has a very calming nature to him.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While we were wrapping presents tonight my daughter had changed from how he was feeling earlier in the day.  She was counting presents to her and her brother, complaining if he was ahead or had bigger boxes than she did and then being happily smug when she had more.   I gave parental advice about being grateful and not everyone had the quantity of gifts she and her brother did.  I talked about how size didn't always matter.   And then finally when I'd had enough I told her I would tell her what was in the one particularly large box for her brother.  She thought I was joking when I told her so I let her feel the contents.   I said, "this entire box is all new underwear and socks for your brother—because that's what he asked for."   But later, she was merrily helping with the presents and said about giving presents, "it warms your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment