Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Crash

After last night's Halloween decoration journey around the neighborhood I knew my daughter was frustrated.   She wants to be able to do things and she hates that she can't do what the rest of us do easily.   Today she was running in and out of the house, talking with friends who had come over and were on the trampoline and generally having a good day.

I had forgotten about last night when I came upstairs and heard her crying on our bed.  I went in to find her in a ball with my husband beside her.   She didn't want me to know what happened, but a short while later she must have decided it was okay, because the story came out. 

I'm presuming here, but she went back out on her bicycle.  I can't imagine how she does it, being able to see almost nothing and what she can see is not always helpful.  But she wanted to ride her bicycle.   She also wants to ride fast.   It is an exercise in parental fear to see her pedaling about, seemingly not worrying while you want to scream the whole time, "Stop!  To the left!  Go slower!  STOP STOP STOP!"  Like that, but on constant repeat. 

When she's in an area she knows well, she does okay, but today her location discerning skills must have been off because she crashed into a mailbox going fairly fast.   She had a bandage on the bottom of her right eye socket, that being where her face made contact and her glasses, while protective of her eyes, smashed into her face. 

I don't think it will stop her from riding her bicycle, but it might make her take more care.   I need to find a place where she can just ride in an open area and be free.   She just wants to be free. 

The Big Boy Update:  My daughter is spending the night with Nana and Papa tonight.  For some reason, even though his sister is in an entirely different room down the hall, when she's not here he's not comfortable going to sleep in his room alone.  It's past eleven o'clock now and we've only just got him up to bed.   He may come back down again though.  He's scared in an odd way that's sort of sweet in how his sister makes him feel safe, just knowing she's there. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told us today when she was crying after running into the mailbox that she just wants friends.   She has a lot of friends, but they are one of the most important things in the world to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment