Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Only One Window

I thought I'd started a blog post tonight.  I was sure of it.   But things get busy around here on my computer and that involves lots of windows opened.   I have a big monitor.   It's wide such that I can fit three full windows side-by-side.   It took some getting used to when I first got the monitor because things would be off to the left or right beyond where I could easily see them just by shifting my eyes.   I had to learn to turn my head ever so slightly to see what was in the left and right window space.  

Three windows is a lot.   But I needed more space.   I could have windows opened behind other windows, but it's easier to swipe left or right and have a whole new screen space available.  I filled up one desktop as they're called,  with slicer programs, another with Internet browser pages and two more, okay sometimes three more with other programs and tools. 

I have a lot open typically.   I don't like to have something open if I'm not actively using it, but I tend to be actively using a lot of things, so I spread them out and I can get to everything fairly easily.   The one thing that does tend to pile up though are web browser tabs.   Not that long ago we had one window and we could go to one web page.   If we wanted to go somewhere else, we left the page we were on and went to the new page.  Today you can have as many pages open as you'd like at once. 

If I'm not sure if I'm done with something, maybe it's reference or email or one of the remote printer utilities, or shopping, or filament settings, or you name it, instead of closing the tab, I leave it there and add a new tab.   Sometimes I even need to have multiple web-based windows up simultaneously so I have three windows with numerous tabs all open at once.

Today, as I was closing fifteen or twenty tabs, I remembered back to the day where we had one window to browse the World Wide Web.   And the time before that when we had one screen that was the interface to everything happening on our computer at once, which wasn't much, because the computers back then couldn't process more than one thing at a time.  

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Grounded Execution:  After school today, after their father had gotten home and picked up my son from school, the children went into their rooms to be grounded for the rest of the day.   My daughter was doing fine, but my son just had to get angry about something.   He left the room multiple times and caused another fight with his sister.   He will continue his grounding after school tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment