Monday, October 4, 2021

My Mother Made Me Mash My M&M's

My daughter went to try out to see if she would be interested in being in a girls' choir today.   We heard about it from our friends who's visually impaired daughter and her sister are members.   I was fairly certain she would want to join (she does) but I gave her today to evaluate it and see. 

It was a strange feeling, going back to my college where the chorus practiced.  I drive by the campus as I take my daughter to and from school, but it's at a distance.   When I drove down the front drive I noticed how much the trees had grown over the decades since I was a student.   It was the same campus though and it brought back memories. 

We went into a building that I'd been in so many times.   I started going there when I was a child, taking violin when I was very small, and then later piano lessons. We walked by rehearsal hall where I'd competed in a piano competition I remember well.   I spent more time there as I grew older because my mother worked at the college, and then later, I went to school there myself.   

Good memories.   Good times.   I hope my daughter enjoys the chorus.

The Big Boy Update:  My son almost walked three miles to school today due to attitude.   He got part-way out of the neighborhood before he decided to change his attitude.  I told him I wasn't able to follow him slowly in the car because it wouldn't be safe on the bigger road so he would need to stay on the side in the grass.   He got in the car. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter oddly told me today she does remember something from the very first time she was in the hospital when her eyes collapsed on her.   She was woken up in the middle of the night to prick her finger.  I was asleep.  She hated having her finger pricked, she told me.   She remembered eating some candy that was on the nightstand her brother had sent to her.   I had no idea she remembered anything at all from those very scary first days when she lost the bulk of her vision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment