Monday, September 12, 2022

Empanelment

Of all the words I wish spellcheck would catch and correct, there are many that go uncorrected with me trying again and again, variation upon variation until I give up and type the word into Google and the answer immediately comes up without a second try. 

What surprised me was the word 'empanelment' was offered up with only five letters today.   Empanelment, a word I have never had the occasion to use as well as a word I only guessed at the meaning of when my friend told me he had been released, because they didn't have a need for empanelment of him today. 

I was able to guess the meaning because he told me he had been called to Jury Service and was heading to the office downtown.   Jury Service is a nicer way to say Jury Duty, that being the way it is referred to in the United States.  My friend was in Australia.  

A new word learned (that spellcheck seemed to be well aware of) and a lesson about to be explained on the ride to school...

The Jury Duty Discussion:  I talked to my children about empanelment on the ride to school and what Jury Duty was and that one day they, too, might be called upon to serve.  I spoke of my experience as a juror and how it was interesting to see the legal process in action and not just what was portrayed in television and movies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment