Saturday, September 24, 2022

All in All

All in all, I think my daughter had a good time at Space Camp.  When I asked her if she wanted to go back next year, she said yes.   I also asked if she'd like for her friends locally to attend too, and she said that would be nice.   Their parents were aware of the option but hadn't pursued it like my husband had, watching day after day until registration was open to make sure he got her a spot. 

She made friends and learned a lot of things.  She told me about some of the other attendees who had additional disabilities.  There was one boy she liked a lot that was in a wheelchair.  He could walk, she said, but not very fast and it would take him a long time to catch up with the group, so he used a wheelchair.  He also, "talked funny".  It sounded to me like he had muscular dystrophy from the way she described his talking.   She said he was funny and really nice. 

The one thing that surprised me a little is that she didn't come home excited to be an astronaut or excited about space travel or anything related.  Perhaps she is, and she just hasn't shared those thoughts with us.   She did have a good time.  I'm so glad she had the opportunity.   I liked that I got to spend the time with her going down before and spending the night together before dropping her off. 

The Shoes and The Dog:  My daughter realized she left her crocs at camp.   This was a terribly upsetting thing to her and she was wailing pitifully about it.  Her brother told her to, "grow up" which upset her even more.   I told him to get his shoes on, he was going to walk the dog with me (the neighbor asked if we could walk their dog.)  We got over there after some moaning from my son, who got told to, "grow up" by me which clued him in to why he was being required to do so.   When we arrived we couldn't find Roxy.  My daughter had gone over ahead of use while my son dawdled with his shoes.  Then the two dogs, two quarreling children and I went around the block.  By the time we got home, they had gotten over their anger with each other.   The dogs loved it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment