Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Robot Skiing

We're done with ski lessons now.  My son skied with the group today and is now completely passed out asleep.  I went to the spa with my girlfriends and one of their daughters who is on crutches and hasn't been able to ski this trip.   My daughter was unhappy she couldn't join us.   I told her when she gets older she can join the adult ladies on the spa day. 

My daughter got to ski with an instructor today who is certified to teach visually impaired students.  They got their helmets ready with walkie-talkie-type communicators attached to the earmuff area.   Before they started out she said, "You're going to be skiing with a robot today.   Do you want to see my robot leg?" 

She had an amputated leg from just below the knee and had a high-tech prosthesis she used for walking and skiing among other things.   My daughter was very interested in her leg, asking questions about how she lost it and if it hurt.   If I hadn't known she had an artificial leg, I would have never known.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son is exhausted.  He was skiing on blues today and has gotten so much better since the beginning of the week.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter, likewise, has gotten a lot of experience skiing, although the recommendation from her instructor today is that she really needs communication so you can talk to her and tell her what's coming.  Without a connection strap between you and her, it's very easy for her to go off the side of the trail, and yelling back and forth can be hard to do when you get further apart.   

No comments:

Post a Comment