Monday, March 14, 2022

Not Fitting In

My daughter's TVI called todat.  She had read one of the recent writings she had done as an assignment from class and it worried her   She had my daughter read it to her no she stopped before the end, not wanting to read the last part   After asking her about it, my daughter did read it to her, and then they talked about it   Here's what she wrote:

Blind people

If you are blind you are much different than a normal person. You may be able to read print and mat not. You may need a cane or even need a Visiobook to make letters and words larger.

Blind people are noticed by the public if they have a cane or a sighted guide dog with them. Some people were born blind while others were not.

There are different kinds of blind.  Some people are color blind but to me that doesn’t count  some people are partly blind and others are completely blind.  There are different kinds of cases.  But think about someone who is blind.  How would you feel to be like that.  Would you like it?  Just think about the people who are blind and about how hard some struggle to fit in   How I can’t fit in.

My daughter told Brady how after she lost her initial vision that from ages three to four she was confused   Then from five to six she was frustrated, then from sis to seven, when she lost most of the rest of her vision, she was mad,  From seven to eight she was still mad. And then from nine to ten she's just sad.  

That all correlates with what happened and the behavior we saw   I know she's sad  I know she hates being blind   Brady said most blind children go through this   I just hate to see her suffering   Brady did say that at the end of their conversation my daughter said she was happy a lot of the time, but frustrated because she had to wait for something she wanted a lot of the time   Brady said we all want to have the things we want right now, and that it's tough for everyone to have to wait or noT get everything they want.

My daughter seemed okay, fine even about the writing.  She is very insightful, and sometimes is in a deep, dark place   It's not all of the time, and it is something she will have to work through to accept her life as a blind person and come out on the other side as well-adjusted and hopefully not bitter at the world.

The Big Boy Update: my son is texting me now   He's on Discord and will send me little messages that are funny and cute   

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment