Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Monetized and 50K

Today was an interesting day for Filament Stories on YouTube.  My husband wanted to monetize from the start as a goal, but by putting out Shorts format videos, we weren't going to get credit towards watch hours, and we knew it would take a long time.   Things ramped up at different times, but mostly in the last month things have gone a little crazy, for reasons we're not sure of, which is the YouTube algorithm for you. 

I did some livestream videos which counted for watch time and we put some other long format videos that, with the added subscribers and newly suggesting that YouTube was doing, suddenly got us over fifty percent of the watch hours we needed to be able to monetize.    Two days ago we were eligible to apply for the program, which takes a month for a reply to be sent back as YouTube has a real person review your content.  

Only in less than forty-eight hours we were approved.  Which took us completely by surprise.  Then, to add on to that, we hit fifty-thousand subscribers while my daughter was at choir tonight.   I was watching the number tick up and got a screen shot when it happened.  

I've been moving over all the subscriptions I have for different YouTube Content Creators in the 3D Printing space (my word, am I subscribed to a lot) and what surprised me even more is that a good number of the people I've been watching and respect for a good while now, have not that many more subscribers than we have and in many cases have half to a quarter of our numbers.   

So I'm a little gobsmacked.   We're just these two people making content in the basement on 3D printing.  I know most of the other folks are doing the same thing, but it feels different.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is sad he can't take his PC to visit Nana and Papa in Florida.  We talked about maybe being able to put Minecraft on the laptop for the trip.   That cheered him up a lot.  He was going to miss his friends over the break. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves to climb in the big Magnolia trees in front of the college administration building before going in to choir.   Those two large trees were ones I climbed myself when I was a young girl.  I'm sure they're larger, but they seem just the same now as they did over forty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment