Wednesday, May 24, 2023

The Sidetracking Marathon

Some days I feel like I can't get anything done.  There are so many ways to communicate: email, Discord, text message, voicemail, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, FilamentStories website, Patreon.com, Any of the model repository sites we download models from, and I'm sure I missed some others that I'm on regularly.   Keeping up with it all is a maze of being sidetracked.  Here's a very reasonable scenario of a typical morning's start:  

It's the start of the day and I've gotten home from dropping the children off at school and procuring coffee.  I need to find things that have come in and handle them.  But if it’s not slapping me in the face, banging on my forehead, or sounding a gong, I’ll miss it when it arrives.  I feel like I'm bombarded all day.  For example, I start by going to Instagram to respond to someone when I see a post in the Instagram feed that I had been meaning to comment on.  I comment and then see the next post which is amazing and I want to consider printing it for an upcoming video.  I go to Cults3D.com to download the model I notice on the front page, a model is being featured—a model I’ve already printed for an upcoming video—so I click in to get the information I'll need when we record the video.  "Now where was I," I think, "Ah, yes, responding to that person on Instagram."  I go to Instagram messages and there are some messages I can handle very quickly, so respond with a heart or smiley face.  Then I see a message that's concerning so I click in.   I need to look a few things up to confirm the facts before responding.  I grab a sticky pad to write down some numbers and there is something on the top page that I was supposed to have done two days ago, so I go check to see if I have an email about it.  When I open email I see I  didn’t respond to Reese’s teacher about the upcoming IEP proposed meeting date.  I need to respond so they can coordinate with the other eight attendees.   I open my calendar to add the meeting to it and see that today, "Hm, I was supposed to do that today?  Gah! I’ll add it to the to-do list for today, which includes yesterday's list of incompleted items.    I'm now how many sidetracks in?  I can't even remember where I started.  I'd better write down what I remember.

There are just TOO MANY ways to communicate and too many ways to try and organize everything but since I’m using multiple, because Protopasta uses this, and Asylum uses that, and Chris isn’t Mac, so we coordinate.  Looking at my text messages I think, "Oh no, I didn’t see the message from the dog groomer: she was waiting for me all weekend to let her know if she could come to groom the dog.  I see a prescription is ready to be picked up.  So I don't forget, I write "Prescription" on a sticky note and stick it on my purse to get it on the way to get my daughter.  At this point I think, "where was I?   Sigh, I got lost in sidetracks...again.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's first video has not only had a lot of views on all of the platforms, but people are also commenting and saying the nicest things to her.  There are only a few outliers like the one person who said how did we really know if she was blind she could have been looking.   People jumped all over him about that.  Another person said if she was blind, why was she wearing glasses.  My husband responded that they aren't corrective, they're for protection.  People also jumped on that commenter saying there were "Legally Blind" people who had glassed which in no way changes the fact that they're blind.   But forget those people.  Thank you so much to everyone who has been so supportive and kind!

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a very bad day yesterday, he said.   He has very sweetly apologized for the things he said in the car yesterday morning.  He wasn't even hoping for a change in my decision.  He is upset it's a three-day weekend.   I don't know what to do to get the children to understand that flat out insulting a person is not okay.  My husband and I talked and wondered if they were getting this behavior from us.   We don't think so, we don't resort to insulting someone if we're angry at them or if we don't get what we want or any number of things along those lines.  We never talk about the person as a whole, we talk about the specific action.   At least we hope it's not behavior they've learned from us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment