Thursday, May 4, 2023

Not Like the Others

I've been catching up with another content creator today.  I had a question I thought he might have the answer to (he did) and it sparked one of those, "we haven't talked in ages, how are things going" conversations.   

He's fine, he had an update on their son, who had similar sorts of behaviors like our son did when he was younger.  They have made progress with getting their son some support at school.   I updated him on how our lives were going and the we got into technical things. 

I have tools I need to investigate now, one specifically called a "Mind Map" which apparently he uses to build all of his video scripts with.   I have a video I need to create that is more complex so a mind map might be the ticket. 

We talked about how our relative success was going with our social media.  Success mostly meaning are we being successful with generating the kinds of content we want to create and are people finding the information valuable?  Which rolls into growth, and are we seeing the growth we had hoped for or expected?

We broke off and talked about other content creators.  Two people specifically who are my friends now, that I have met and spent time with.  People who are the nicest folks you could meet, who are also very, very successful in social media.   Millions of followers and subscribers.  One of them has over five million now and he continues to conquer platforms and build a following in lighting time.   

My friend and I talked about that.  Were we jealous?  What did they have that we don't have?  We know the answers and we're okay with it.   They are generating formulaic content that is targeted at entertainment, not education or sharing of information about products or other things in the 3D printing space.   They play to the algorithm and it works very well for them.   

But it's not what we want to do personally.   It sounds tempting, but when you find out less than one percent of the followers do 3D printing whereas the majority of your followers do and it's not even a consideration.   I want to make content for 3D printing, not to entertain random people.  

He and I decided we liked where we were, with our much smaller audiences

The Big Boy Update:  When my son's friends come over he is SO LOUD.  HE YELLS EVERTHING AND IT FEELS A LOT LIKE THIS.   I don't know why it works that way in his head but he is one loud child. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has to finalize the motions on the sign language song tonight.  I have to finish this and then go teach her the last bits and see if I can get her to do the other parts more in line with how a sighted person would move through the motions.   She is trying though.  I'm proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment