Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Passion Project

My husband and I are very worried about my son's "Passion Project" that he's doing for his final year at school.   It's a luminary project but things about it seem all wrong.   It doesn't seem well-thought out.   He didn't seem to know what was going on, including that he was supposed to be at school early this morning for his own project to sell luminaries at drop-off.

We helped him understand how the luminaries work this weekend and I got him to record a video to tell his classmates how to set them up.   They were planning on preparing things in advance (which would have ruined the luminary bags and the whole thing would have been a big mess).   

We hurried around and I went in to talk to his teacher.   She said my son had talked to the head of school three times, did I know this?  No, we didn't, because he doesn't like to tell us anything.  At any rate, she said it's okay if the selling doesn't work out because there were added days in the scheduled to look at a second option for selling them,  

She said it was intentional that they weren't involved, because it was okay to have setbacks and learn from them.   So I hope it will all be okay and my son will be happy.   He thought we were messing up his day.   Before I left he ran back that they'd sold one.  One luminary.  He wanted to sell three hundred.   I think they sold a few today.  But he was excited he sold the one.   Which was all I needed to hear.   I need to let him figure it out.    

I just don't want to fail as a parent by not being there for what he needs.   Hopefully we're doing enough.  And not too much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment