Sunday, August 7, 2022

Word Games At Dinner

Leave it to my daughter to come up with a word game at dinner.   Tonight's game was moderated by me as I came up with rules and scoring.   The first person says a letter.  In clockwise rotation around the table the next person adds a letter onto the first.   The goal is to get points by completing a word.  On your turn you can add a letter, call out the currently spelled word or call for a foul, meaning the last letter doesn't make a valid word. 

It's easier to explain by example.  The first person calls out T.   The second person calls out O.   The third person can add a letter or call end of word, taking the number of points as there are letters.   So you could get two points and end that round or call out a letter such as P.   The fourth person could claim the word TOP or add an M to the stack.   

We're now back to the first person who can add a letter to TOPM.   They could add a letter and possibly be challenged by the next person, or challenge the prior person.  If they challenged, the last person has to say a word that starts with TOPM, and in this case they could say, TOPMost.  The challenger would lose four points.   

There could be some strategy to try and pick letters that would cause others to lose points or sometimes even give someone points by not calling an end to a current word that you could take the points by adding S and letting them take the points for the now plural word.  

I may not be explaining this well, but it was a lot of fun, and the best part is you didn't have to see a thing to be successful. 

The Zombie Apocalypse Reading:  My husband has been reading a book to my daughter, and my son thought I should read one of his books to her as well.  Tonight I started and we got close to halfway through the book about a boy who is left in his small town alone, battling zombies and trying to find his friends so he's not alone.  It's a comedy that had my daughter laughing and giggling as I read.  My son was so interested in hearing the book again that he stayed in the room and bounced around, telling us exciting and good parts were coming up.   The three of us are continuing the story tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment