Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Fifty Unreasonable Questions

My son has uncharacteristically wanted. "to be tucked" at night, as he calls it.   He wants one of us to go up, tuck him in or just spend a few minutes with him in the dark.  My husband has gone the last two nights, and so tonight, when my son asked for him I wasn't surprised.   But he said, "and I also want you to tuck me, mom."

My husband went first, and then I was told it was my turn.  I went into the darkened room to find my son waiting for me, now talking in his baby talk voice that he does from time to time when he is in fact feeling like a much younger child.  

This is where the bait and switch happens.   He flatters you with how nice it is for you to be there but he always wants something else.  I told hin I couldn't lie down with him for longer than two minutes because I was tired and I'd fall asleep on him when I rolled over (exaggerated motions of me sleeping).   

I got up to leave but he grabbed my arm and said, "nut mom, this is when I get to ask you fifty unreasonable questions."   I laughed and he followed up with, "I find that I learn best in the dark just before going to sleep."

We compromised,  I said ten questions, time limit enforced on question creation and asking.   And no tricks.  

The Big Boy Update: My son asked me what time of day was my favorite in his ten questions.   I couldn't answer because It depends on the time of year, where we are, the weather, what day of the week it is.  So many factors.   I told him I couldn't decide.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter made an egg protector from things around the house.   We did in fact use only things around the house and I think her egg would be fine no matter what, but she wanted to inflate a balloon to slow down the egg's fall.   We have helium and balloons at home so we inflated an old Mylar balloon from years back in the shape of a red heart.   The balloon stabilized the triangular prism-like shape she ended up with because when she was making a cube out of foam pieces it wouldn't hold together as easily as three would.  We held it together with some hosiery, trimmed and cut anything and everything that was extra.  Then we tied a balloon around the top part of the triangle and dropped it from fifteen feet up.    The balloon slows it down so minimally, but it does help, and it keeps the proper side faced down, which takes the brunt of the blow.   Thursday she gets to try hers alongside her classmates

No comments:

Post a Comment