Thursday, August 4, 2022

Pop Caps

My son, husband, and I were trying to finish a Mandalorian puzzle this evening because I very much would like to have the dining room table back.  We are to those last pieces that all look sort of brownish black and could go anywhere.   

After a while my son grew tired of pieces not going into places and pulled out the three pop cap guns and suggested we three duel outside.   My mother-in-law provided a lot of caps to be used with the three guns so we had plenty of pretend gunfighting or pretend target shooting to do.  

After my husband and son had gone out my daughter appeared and I asked if she wanted to join us.  She wasn't sure at first but I think she had a good time once she got into it.  I explained to her how the ring of eight caps in the small red plastic housing worked and how to load and unload the gun.

We did all sorts of duels starting with the back to back sort and then migrating into hitting targets.  All of this was via imagination as the caps only went bang and no projectiles were involved.  

It was a lot of fun.  My daughter had far more fun than I thought she would have had.  Her blindness didn't factor in as we were all imagining shooting out the moon or street light or foe.   As we finished using the caps we'd brought outside a lightning storm was approaching.   It was really nice seeing the sky darken as night came on, lit from time to time with lightning followed by rumbling thunder. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a great time with the pop caps.  It's not something I would have picked for a family activity but it turned out to be a really fun idea.   And safe too, as the pop caps just made a small bang and violence was the farthest thing from actually happening. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was scared of the pop caps until I explained it was just like those little bangers in the cardboard boxes with the sawdust, only in this case a hammer in the gun made the bang, where as in the bangers the sounds was from little rocks in the tiny pieces of tissue laden with powder.  Once she understood that she was very interested in joining in.

No comments:

Post a Comment